Tips for a comfortable, happy and safe visit ...
Vigilance at the airport, and the adoption of these 'self-help' precautions over your luggage, may prevent your travel and holiday from getting off to a bad start.
- Leave your home address displayed on the outside of suitcases. This is an open invitation to burglars to break in to your home during your absence.
- If it would make you feel more comfortable, put your bank's address in the label.
- Pack jewellery, cash, vital medicines, important documents and any other valuables, in the luggage to be checked in. Have them with you at all times.
- Over-pack your case, or put dangerous items in it - like gas cylinders, lighter fuel or matches.
- Advertise your credit-worthiness by attaching to your suitcase the plastic tags that resemble cards, like American Express.
- Lock your bags.
- buy the most robust suitcase that you can afford.
- Make it conspicuous by putting your own personal mark on it.
- Remember the suitcases colour and size.
- Carry a list of the contents with you.
- Put your address (home and away) inside your suitcase, and your identity tag (now compulsory on European airlines), on the outside.